Do you leave your pet home alone often? Dr. Evan Antin from the Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital in Thousands Oaks, CA advises you keep the following common items out of reach from your pets:
Peaches, Avocados, Plums, & Apricots:
They aren’t toxic, but the pits can get stuck in the intestines & cause obstructions which can require surgery.
Wires & Electronics:
Puppies and cats do love them, but if they get down to the metal, a shock can cause severe trauma to the mouth.
Bacon, Pork Chops, & Steaks:
High-fat foods aren’t poisonous, but frequent intake can cause pancreatitis, which is painful and can require hospitalization.
The xylitol in it might lead to severe hypoglycemia and liver damage.
Onions & Garlic:
In dogs, these can cause anemia and be destructive to red blood cells.
Prescription or Over-The-Counter Medications:
It may seem obvious to keep your pets away from these, but ibuprofen, cold, or allergy meds, anti-depressants & heart medications can be toxic for both cats & dogs. Best to keep them elevated & secured.
The darker, the worse for dogs. Milk & white are slightly less toxic but still problematic.
Raisins & Grapes:
As crazy as this may sound, if your dog has even one, it’s a medical emergency. While some dogs may not react, in others it can cause irreversible kidney failure – or even be fatal.
Let's keep our beloved pets as safe & healthy as possible at all times!